Information for Translators and Interpreters

This page will give you guidelines of what we require should you wish to work for us as a freelancer, or wish to become a translator or interpreter.

If you would like to translate for us, then please note:

  • You must have a degree in languages and a post-graduate qualification in translation, plus a minimum of 3-years experience for general texts, and 5-years for technical translators.  Many of our customers will require you to be a member of the ITI (Institute of Translation and Interpreting) or the CIOL (Chartered Institute of Linguists).
  • We may ask you to produce a small test translation.
  • We mostly translate legal and technical documents, especially patents, although this is not exclusive; we have many different types of customers requiring different types of translations.
If you would like to interpret for us then please note:

To be considered for adding to our database of freelance translators and interpreters, please send your CV (in English) to Mandy Holbrook by email (; you must give full details of your working languages (from and into!), your qualifications, your specialist areas if any, your experience and your charges.  Please note only successful applicants will receive a response.

Currently we have a need for the following languages:

Technical translators, especially patents:

Into English from German, French, Dutch, Italian, Swedish, Chinese and Japanese
From English into Arabic, German, French, Dutch, Spanish, Swedish and Russian

Legal translators

Into German, French, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian and Hungarian from English (preferably living in the UK)


Arabic, Bengali, Urdu, Turkish, Tamil for countrywide assignments, plus French and German based in the London area.

For really useful advice on setting yourself up as a freelance translator / interpreter visit the “Starting Out” pages on website of the ITI (Institute of Translation and Interpreting).